Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Between the Worlds

Samhain Eve is upon us.  Thankful to have escaped the devastation of the hurricane, when so many did not. This morning the remnants of the storm finally passed on, and as I left work to make my way home I was struck by the astounding beauty of the clouds, as great masses of violet, lavender, and smoke drifted across the sky at various elevations; some quite high in the atmosphere, others obscuring the tops of the tallest buildings in the distance downtown.  It brought to mind many ancient tales of supernatural beings hosting through turbulent skies--the Valkyries, the Wild Hunt.  Although Science tells us such stories are baseless, there is some magic in such clouds that can't be explained away by water vapor and barometric pressure.  This is especially so on nights like tonight, which is widely celebrated as the Witches' New Year, when the realms of Faerie and the Dead draw nearer to our own.

The Three Witches From Shakespeare's Macbeth ~ Daniel Gardner

It saddens me that fatigue and the necessity of work prevent me from making a proper observance of the holiday, but I have meditated on it a great deal over the course of the day, and I plan to hold a little ritual a bit later in the evening, which will have to suffice for the present.  Next week when I have a bit of extra free time I may belatedly stage something a bit more elaborate.  With FaerieCon in particular approaching, I should more than make up for tonight's lost time communing with otherworldly beings :)

Since today is of course a celebration of all things witchy, I am including some wonderful 18th century portraits in this post, with an old favorite above, and a delightful piece that was brought to my attention this very evening below.

Horned Witch ~ Artist Unknown (French School)

A Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain to all who wander through...

No comments:

Post a Comment